Ordinance for Local Implementation of the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women (CEDAW) in San Francisco
- Designates the Commission on the Status of Women (COSW) as the local agency responsible for implementing and monitoring CEDAW.
- Establishes a CEDAW Task Force to assist in implementing CEDAW.
- Task Force reports to Mayor, Board of Supervisors and the COSW every six months.
- Members of Task Force shall be as follows: President of Human Rights Commission or designee; staff member from Mayors office knowledgeable about Citys budget; head of Department of Human Resources or designee; President of Board of Supervisors or designee; representative of a City-recognized union experienced in womens issues; President of the COSW or designee; and five members from the community.
- Task Force expires on December 31, 2002 unless the Board of Supervisors renews its powers.
- Requires COSW to conduct gender analyses on selected city departments to identify areas of discrimination against women and girls.
- CEDAW Task Force, in cooperation with COSW shall develop gender analysis guidelines.
- Gender analysis must include an evaluation of gender equity in selected departments budgets, allocation of funding, employment practices, delivery of direct or indirect services, and operations. The analysis shall also address the departments compliance with CEDAW as set forth within the ordinance.
- Requires departments to take action to redress discrimination against women and girls.
- CEDAW Task Force and COSW must submit gender analyses by May 1, 1999.
- By September 1, 1999,COSW must submit Action Plans that address any and all deficiencies found in their gender analyses; describe remedial measures to correct those deficiencies; and set forth actions the department is taking to implement CEDAW.
- The Board of Supervisors committee responsible for considering City budget shall hold a hearing to receive recommendations and reports of CEDAW Task Force and COSW
- Mandates human rights education for City departments
- COSW shall be responsible for training designated departments in gender analysis.
- COSW shall train each department in human rights with a gender perspective.
Back to CEDAW Main Page